Welcome to the website of the British Liquid Crystal Society. The Society promotes liquid crystal science in the UK by organising events such as the BLCS Annual Meeting and by sponsoring prizes and lectures in the field of liquid crystals.
We are living in extraordinary times. Life, as we know it, has stopped and we have entered a new area, which requires new modes of thinking, behaving and communicating. As scientists, we are used to it. How could research be anything else but permanent change and adapting to new situations?
This year we will change how the medal winners are announced. Traditionally the winners have been announced at the BLCS conference. It was never a big surprise, more an open secret. A look at the conference program was enough to see who won. Under the present circumstances we have decided to break with the tradition and disclose the list of recipients before the conference since a new date for it is not yet decided and we do not want the cliff hanger to go on for too long.
The winners of 2020 BLCS prize winners are
Prof. Ewa Gorecka, University of Warsaw, Poland
Prof. Apala Majumdar, University of Strathclyde
Dr. Rebecca Walker, University of Aberdeen
All recipients will receive the medals at the upcoming conference. They cannot escape the warm handshake, the party and the talks. These are our ‘Oscars’ and we need the ‘thank you’ speeches and the glamour of the conference dinner. Let’s hope that we will not wait for too long for that.
Keep well and keep thinking outside the box.
- Coronavirus postpones and the 2020 BLCS annual conference
- Calls for nominations to the steering committee
- New Design for Gray and Hilsum Medal
- The 2020 call for BLCS Prizes and Medals
- Date for the diary: BLCS Annual Training Workshop: January 8-10, 2020 in Birmingham
- BLCS Annual Meeting 2020: abstract submission and registration now open
- Date for the Diary: BLCS Annual Meeting 2020
- BLCS Outreach Fund
- Garry Lester raises LC awareness at the UNESCO day of light