Welcome to the website of the British Liquid Crystal Society. The Society promotes liquid crystal science in the UK by organising events such as the BLCS Annual Meeting and by sponsoring prizes and lectures in the field of liquid crystals.
If you are no longer receiving our news alerts via email it maybe because we no longer have your permission. GDPR came into force in May 2018 – this requires consented opt-in that you will have received an email about this. … Continue reading
Dr Apala Majumdar, EPSRC Research Fellow and Reader in Mathematical Sciences at the University of Bath, has been named winner of the Academic category of the 2019 FDM Everywoman in Technology Awards.
The annual national awards programme uncovers and celebrates the most inspirational women working within STEM industries and recognises their role in inspiring and supporting the next generation. Dr Apala Majumdar was one of three finalists for the Academic category of the annual awards programme, selected from a field of hundreds of applicants, chosen by a panel of senior technology leaders against criteria including career achievement, future potential and their commitment to supporting others in the industry.
Her research into the mathematics of material science, specifically into liquid crystals, aims to make LCD screens found in TVs and phones cheaper and more efficient. This is a fantastic achievement and well deserved recognition for all the hard work and dedication.
- Date for the Diary: 2nd Photonic and Optoelectronic Materials 2019 Conference (POEM2019)
- BLCS Annual Meeting 2019: abstract submission and registration now open.
- Professor Helen Gleeson receives the Outstanding Research Supervisor of the Year Award 2018 from the Times Higher Education
- Date for the Diary: Smart NanoMaterials 2018 10-13 December 2018
- Date for the Diary: IoP one day meeting on magnetic resonance spectroscopy in honour of Professors Jim Emsley and Geoffrey Luckhurst – 25 June 2018
- Date for the Diary: One day SID technical meeting: 50 years of LCD Research, 7 June 2018
- BLCS Annual Meeting 2018: abstract submission and registration now open
- BLCS Liquid Crystals Workshop at Hull 2018
- Date for the Diary: Light Scattering for Soft Matter – Techniques and Applications: 4/5 September 2017