Rules for the Evaluation of Award Nominations
1. Each year, the Society’s Secretary will issue a call for nominations for the G.W. Gray Medal, the C. Hilsum Medal and the BLCS Young Scientist Award. The call shall be at least two months in advance of the advertised closing date. The call will be advertised on the Society’s website, by email to all members of the Society and will be publicised by any other means deemed necessary to attract a strong field of candidates.
2. Members of the BLCS Committee may be nominated for any of these awards during their term of office and they may propose or second other candidates.
3. Nominations, in the form prescribed for each award, will be sent to the Secretary to arrive by the advertised closing date. It is the nominator’s responsibility to ensure that this deadline is met. The nomination may be submitted electronically or in hard copy. For electronic nominations, the nominator should email the nomination to the Secretary; the seconder will be contacted by the Secretary to confirm their support of the nomination. For hard copy nominations, the nomination letter should be signed by the nominator and the seconder.
4. Nominations for each award will be considered by the Prize Giving Committee and will be handled in confidence. The current composition of this committee and their terms of reference are given here.
5. The Prize Giving Committee may decline to make an award in any category in a particular year.
6. Awardees will be informed by the Society’s Chair in advance of the Annual Conference and will be expected to attend the Conference to receive their award and to meet any other obligations as set out for the particular award.